Lately, whatever is in my fridge is being transformed into any kind of soup I can think of. I’m actually not usually much of a soup person, but I’ve really been converting myself over to the other side. Without further ado, I present to you my:
Cream of Broccolini Soup with Pecan, Cherry, Feta Crumble (Paleo/Primal/Vegetarian)
- 2-3 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 cup of broccolini stems, chopped
- 1 cup of broccolini florets, chopped
- 1 cup of carrots, chopped
- 1 oz of butter
- 1 tsp olive oil (my favourite here)
- 1 oz of tapioca flour (my favourite here)
- 2.5 cups of broth, preferably chicken (warm water will work too)
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 oz raw goat cheese feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped (my favourite here)
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened cherries, chopped, (my favourite here)
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper and another 1/4 for later, (my favourite here)
- 1 tsp turmeric, (my favourite here)
- 1/2 tsp allspice or ground cloves and another 1/4 for later, (my favourite here)
- 2 tsp garlic powder, (my favourite here)
- Himalayan sea salt to taste, (my favourite here)
Equipment needed: high powered blender and oven
1.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is preheating, chop up all of your vegetables, pecans, and dried cherries and set aside for later.
2.) On medium low heat, melt 1 oz of butter and 1 tsp of olive oil. Once melted, add 1 oz of tapioca flour, stirring constantly. You are making a roux for your soup! Keep stirring for about 5-7 minutes until a somewhat khaki color is achieved.
3.) To the roux, slowly add 2.5 cups of broth while stirring constantly. Once added, add 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper, 1 tsp of turmeric, 1/2 tsp of allspice or ground cloves, 2 tsp of garlic powder, 1 cup of broccolini STEMS (NOT florets), 1 cup of chopped carrots, and the 2 chopped red onions.
4.) Let this simmer for 20 minutes. While the soup is simmering, in a baking sheet drizzle some olive oil and toss 1 cup of chopped broccolini florets, 1/4 cup of dried chopped cherries, 1/4 of chopped pecans, 2 oz of crumbled goat feta, 1/4 tsp of all spice, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
5.) Bake this mixture in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes, depending on your oven.
6.) Remove the soup from the heat and pour the pot’s contents into a high powered blender and add 3 egg yolks. Blend the soup until a uniform appearance has been achieved. Add salt to the soup to taste.
7.) Ladle some of the soup into a bowl, top it with the broccolini floret crumble mixture, and enjoy!